Language agnostic software engineer with a love for both object-oriented programming and functional programming. A self-motivated problem-solver that delivers business value as an individual contributor and brings out the best in others as a team lead.
- Focuses on meeting the needs of the users and the business.
- Follows agile methodologies to consistently deliver working software.
- Strives to write code that is simple and maintainable by other engineers.
- Combines skills, experience, and creativity to provide solutions to complex problems.
- Searches for leadership opportunities to encourage personal and organizational growth.
Previous - C++, Java, RTOS, 2D/3D Graphics, Linux, Multi-threading, Networking
Interests - FP, F#, TypeScript, ML, Python
Qualtrax (An Ideagen PLC Company)
Senior Software Engineer. Jan 2018 - Present.
Served as the leader for a development team of product engineers to maintain legacy QMS software. Daily activities included development, pairing, mentoring, reviewing code, and facilitating regular agile ceremonies focused on continuous improvement of the team.
- Conducted research and refactoring for a new multi-tenant architecture that reduced hosting costs by enabling the application to use shared resources in Azure.
- Integrated SAML SSO component into the application which enabled customers to use their own identity providers for a seamless login experience.
- Regularly facilitated book clubs and community activities to strengthen shared engineering principles and share new patterns and practices across vertical teams.
Senior Software Engineer. Jan 2016 - Jan 2018.
Collaborated with other developers on an agile team to enhance and expand company’s software portfolio for clients in various industries.
- Architected reusable, multi-tenant web application using ASP.NET MVC and Entity Framework to enable teachers to track student interventions and learning progress.
- Streamlined workflow of practice management software to increase efficiency in physician offices, decrease errors in data entry, and improve patient experience.
- Mentored other team members to improve software development and release processes and increase overall development efficiency.
Shaw Industries, Inc.
Senior Software Engineer. Jan 2013 - Jan 2016.
Systems Engineer. Dec 2007 - Jan 2013.
Worked with other developers in agile teams to improve and expand the company’s existing library of manufacturing applications.
- Led software architecture of several projects including a custom service bus, an efficiency and production tracking system, and a proprietary manufacturing process.
- Researched and evaluated new technologies for use in application development and led several presentations to encourage technical growth within the group.
- Coordinated efforts with external groups to integrate shop floor systems into HMI and order management applications on the manufacturing floor.
Software Developer. Apr 2005 - Dec 2007.
Collaborated with other developers to maintain and enhance the company's existing software for control and automation of audio mixing consoles. Worked on a variety of projects dealing with OpenGL-based graphics and networking in a real-time, multi-threaded programming environment.
- Designed a networking interface module to communicate with 3rd party audio workstation software to integrate existing console hardware with other software vendors.
- Led major refactoring of DSP software for use with shared memory in a real-time operating system which greatly increased efficiency and maintainability.
- Simplified and consolidated scripts for configuration of net-bootable OS servers for ease of installation in production and on-site updating.
Application Engineer. May 2003 - Mar 2005.
Policy Programmer. Feb 2003 - May 2003.
Worked on a team to develop a UI for the company's web-based attendance management software and other projects to improve the company's web presence and internal productivity.
- Implemented custom composite controls which greatly improved the usability, efficiency, and look of the UI for the company's flagship product.
- Designed an employee access site to be easily customizable by IT departments at large companies.
- Redesigned company's primary and support websites to increase sales and streamline support for new product releases.
Software Engineer. Jun 2001 - Sep 2002.
Support Consultant. Feb 2000 - Jun 2001.
Primary responsibilities included the development of the new UI and API for the company's 2D military visualization and AI simulation toolkit.
- Applied knowledge of toolkit design to improve API while simultaneously leveraging pre-existing code in a cost effective manner.
- Designed and implemented new UI for existing 2D visualization application using a cross-platform development toolkit.
- Coordinated efforts with a research team to incorporate new user interface concepts into the base product.
Education and Certifications
Duke University, BS Computer Science, 1999; Microsoft, MCSD, 2020;
Volunteerism and Hobbies
Scenic City Summit, Organizer, 2017-2019; TEALS, Volunteer Teacher, 2020;
Hobbies include reading (mostly personal/professional development), conferences and user groups, coding for fun, computer and table-top gaming, Netflix binge-watching, cat wrangling, and beer brewing.